Discovery Zone – opportunities to help with Pain Research
On this page we highlight opportunities for taking part in pain research – please check back regularly!
1) Diabetic Neuropathy Treatment/co-design
If you have any opportunities you wish promote please contact us at info@Footsteps-Festival.co.uk
1) Developing a new drug-free approach for people with painful diabetic neuropathy
This research is led by David Hohenschurz-Schmidt, osteopath and pain researcher at Imperial College London.
“People with diabetes and associated nerve damage (diabetic peripheral neuropathy) lack good non-drug treatment options. Pain associated with this condition can be severely debilitating and lead to sleep problems and other limitations. Unfortunately, available drug treatments for neuropathic pain are not very effective or come with side effects. We are exploring a new approach built on osteopathic manual therapy.”
Who are they looking for?
We are looking for patients and osteopathic partners.
Do you live with diabetes (Type 1 or Type 2) and nerve pains (painful neuropathy)?
are you an osteopath who has worked with people with painful polyneuropathies, such as diabetic, HIV-related, or chemotherapy-related painful neuropathy?
We would like to speak with you! No ‘expert’ knowledge is required – this is all about learning from your experiences and giving you the opportunity to co-design our project.
You can decide how much you would like to get involved. For example, you could:
- Have a one-off video call with us (you could be living anywhere).
- Meet with us in person to develop and discuss a hands-on approach (you’d have to be in or near London).
- Communicate with us regularly, providing input at different stages – from the development of the treatment to the preparation of a small clinical study.
Help keep Footsteps Festival free
We are raising £10,000 to support Footsteps Festival so it remains free to access for everyone…